Friday, October 27, 2006

Under House Arrest

Tuesday and Wednesday of this week about 90% of Indonesia celebrated Idul Fitri. It is a Moslem holiday marking the end of the fasting month of Ramadan. People celebrate by returning to their villages, getting together with family and giving gifts. Kind of like Christmas, I guess.

So what does that mean for those of us here that are not celebrating the holiday?

Well, it means no household help. Our maid left on Saturday afternoon and returned this morning, Friday. Our nanny had her last day with us on Friday. I have not found a new nanny yet and will probably have a hard time finding one for another week or so as some people take 2 weeks off work for the holiday. And our driver was gone for the 2 Idul Fitri days. It was quiet in the garage since only the security guard was around. I know he was happy when everyone returned.

And since we have not gotten our own car yet, we were without a car for 2 days. Which was a bummer because with half the population of Jakarta gone, there was NO traffic. But with no stores open, we really wouldn't have had anywhere to go. Many of the stores in town actually closed for the whole week.

So what do expats like us do during this time? Well, many of them went on vacations of their own. Alot go to Bali or Singapore. You have to plan for that way in advance to get a flight out. Bali, although it is part of Indonesia, it is mainly Hindu so I don't think it is as affected by business closings as here.

The Bethancourt family spent the 2 days of Idul Fitri at our house with only a brief outing both days to the complex clubhouse to play in the indoor playgroud and swim. Thankfully, it wasn't closed. And I got a taste of what it would be like to have to keep up this house by myself. Yikes!! I came to really appreciate the invention of the dishwasher. I chore I disliked the most was having to wash all the dishes by hand. It also made me very thankful for our help. They are great!

No comments:

Followers