Tuesday, October 17, 2006

And so the saying goes...in Jakarta

On A First Name Basis

I don't know if it is like this in all Asian cultures, but here in Indonesia it is common place to refer to a person's first name in a formal setting rather than their last name. So in situations where I would expect to be called Mrs. Bethancourt, instead I am called Mrs. Erin. Or in some instances even Mrs. Justin. What do you think about that one?

It took me a while to realize that when someone would ask me my name, they just wanted my first name and could care less what my last name was. Which seems so opposite from the US.

It was brought to my attention that part of the reason is that some Indonesians don't have last names. Their names here are very unique and I don't know that I have come across many people with the same names, so I guess it isn't much of a problem.

Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover

An important lesson to learn in Jakarta. If you saw many of the shops here in the US, you would probably never go in them. From the outside they can look like run down old places, but on the inside there are nice treasures to find.

Or take for example the place where I bought some bamboo shades for the triplets room. It was a little 3-sided stall on the side of the road. It had worn out wall and shades that had seen their better days. The men working the place spoke not a lick of English. Our driver had to communicate with them and we used a lot of hand signs. So I showed them from their samples what I wanted and gave them the measurements. I had very low expectations of what I was going to receive, so I was pleasantly surprised by the quality I got. They were much better than what I would have ever thought could have come from such a store. No, they are not perfect. But you would never guess where I got them.

There's No Place Like Home

Since we have been here I have been so good at sharing with you all the great things about Indonesia. And I know that you are all working right now to find a job here so you can join us on this great adventure. But before you pack your bags, I thought it was time for me to share what I miss about home.

1) Mexican Food - If anyone can figure out how to get us some Pappasitos, you'll be my best friend.

2) Open Spaces and Fresh Air

3) Going 60mph

4) Driving My Honda Odyssey

5) Fresh Produce - Not all produce is safe to consume unless it undergoes some intensive cleansing ritual and even then some will tell you not to eat it.

6) Non-marble floors

And of course, I miss all my friends and family dearly so we would love for you to pack your bags and join us here even if it is only for a short time.

Must Be In The Water

Seen the musical South Pacific? Remember the OLDER American sailor who falls in love with the beautiful YOUNG girl from Bali. Thought that was just something for the movies? Well, think again. It seems to be in the water here.

Time and time again we will go out to shopping places or restaurants and see older white males with younger Indonesian women, many of them married with kids. And when I say younger, I mean 20-30 years younger, like the guy could be her dad younger. Hmmmm?.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i thought y'all had the mexican food place there that is mexican/italian/philly cheese steak. that's not cutting it? we are missing the mexican badly here too. our friend Julie is going to Lexington, KY to try some mexican there tomorrow so we have affectionately dubbed it Lex-Mex. who knows how it will taste.

Followers