
1 drink box, 1 small box of cereal, 1 packet of candy, 1 box of kids pastels, 1 soft-sided Sponge Bob lunch box and 1 Sponge Bob beach towel...this was the party favor Alex received at a birthday party he went to at school for one of the kids in his class. Crazy, huh? These Asians really put our typical US party favors to shame.
A couple of weeks ago Luke went to a birthday party at school and he came home with a Car backpack and some Spiderman pajamas. I thought that maybe this was just a one time, special occurrence but after Alex brought home this gift, I have decided it must be the norm to give big party favors.
So, the boys were all invited to a birthday party at a restuarant this past week. I was excited to be able to take them and find out what the typical birthday party was like in Indonesia. In many ways it was like a party you might expect to go to in the US...lots of kids, lots of craziness, lot of fun. The differences...
1) The restaurant had no air conditioning. Either that or it didn't work very well. It was HOT, especially with all the people. I kept feeling sorry for the guy that was dressed up in the Mickey costume.
2) They handed out box lunches for the kids and had a buffet set up for the adults. It was my first real taste of Indonseia food. It was SOOOOO spicy that my lips burned. Needless to say, I didn't eat much of it. I knew Indonesian food was spicy, but later I was told that they make it extra spicy for special occasions. Yikes.
3) Nannies accompanied many of the kids to the party and some followed their kids around the party feeding them their lunch with a spoon. Mind you many of these kids were at least 3.
4) They sang a special cake cutting song after they sang Happy Birthday.
5) The party favor after this party was a big Superman watch that you hang on the wall.
The kids had a good time and didn't want to leave. Isaac even shook hands with Mickey Mouse by his own initiative. Those of you who know how Isaac usually reacts to people dressed up like characters know what a big deal that is.
We will be looking forward to the next celebration.
No comments:
Post a Comment