Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A Sight For Sore Eyes

Until last weekend, I had never seen it rain here in Jakarta. And we've been here going on 8 weeks now. Justin says he saw a small rain shower the week we arrived in September but I was sleeping then, recovering from jet lag.

So imagine what joy I felt at the first sight of rain. So refreshing. But it didn't last long. Just a quick shower. I have been told that the rainy season is upon us but after the small shower, I was not ready to claim it was here.

Now today it rained again, probably for a good 30-45 minutes and it was a nice quality shower. No thunder or lightening but the sound of the rain drops hitting the ground was music to my ears.

You may be asking, "Why is she so excited about rain?"

Well first of all, we have been without a gardener for several weeks now and the grass in the backyard was beginning to die. Thank you Lord for watering our lawn!

Second, coming from a city known for great rain storms, I was starting to miss the downpours.

Third, this city needed some cleaning.

Fourth, it meant there was actually a change in the weather. I am not often inclined to watch the weather forecasts here as each day is the same as the one before. But today I actually thought about trying to find a radar picture to see where the rain was and in which direction it is moving.

So, that is why I loved the rain today. Although you might want to check back with me after a couple months in to the rainy season and see if I feel the same way.

No comments:

Followers