Sunday, October 01, 2006

Coffee Anyone?

When I named this blog, Java for 6, I had 2 things in mind. The first was the name of the Indonesian island that we were moving to, Java, and the other was coffee. I guess I hoped that the island would live up to its name and be a mecca for great coffee. So has it fit the bill?

Well, I can't say that Java is anything like what I picture Columbia to be like with coffee plantations all around. I have heard that there is a coffee plantation up on a mountain that is lovely to visit, but that is about it. However, what I am more than happy to report is that there is no shortage of quaint coffee shops everywhere serving a glorious array of yummy coffee drinks, which I prefer over straight coffee anyway. All you have to do is take a walk in a mall and you will see numerous coffee shops. And although each one holds the promise of a great coffee drink, the familarity of Starbucks beckons me everytime. Yes, I said Starbucks. The coffee giant has not left this part of the world untouched. You can find several Starbucks around town including one in the same shopping area as my "go to" grocery store. I know, I need to branch out. So from this point on, I vow to try other coffee shops.

I also find that I should mention that not only do the local coffee shops serve coffee but they also boast of an array of scrumptious looking desserts. So I guess if I am trying new coffee shops, I should try their desserts too. It only seems fair, right? I tell you, I don't know how these Asians stay so thin. The malls, especially, are filled with coffee shops, bakeries and restuarants. Hey, maybe that is their secret...drink lots of coffee drinks and eat lots of sweets. A girl could only hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drink some yummy stuff for me, will ya?? :)

Hilary

Mom of 3+1 said...

no problem!! i have probably already been having more than my share.

Followers