I have not read Erin's last two posts yet so sorry if I repeat some. Erin took the boys to a kids haircut place this week. The had their hair cut while sitting on a car or on a motorcycle. Someone brushed the hair off the kids while someone else cut their hair. In the end it was 90,000 per kid and she left a 10% tip.
At lunch today I decided I need a haircut since we are having a group dinner with the people that will decide if I am promotion-worthy sometime in the near future.
I set out from the office on foot to the mall. Most of you know that I am a Barber shop type guy. Cut it and go. No Fru-Fru stuff like shampoos, please. Plus having a cut AND shampoo can get expensive in the US. I walk into the first hair shop I see and say, "I need a haircut," while making the universal sizzors sign on my hair. They give me a piece of paper and I stand for about a minute. Someone leads me to the shampoo sink.
I sit down for a shampoo and head massage. That fellow leads me over to a chair when he is finished, and the lady who was just asleep (Ramadan and pregnent) in the massage chair comes to cut my hair. She goes to work with sizzors and later pulls out her electric clippers and wide comb to do my haircut. Following that it was back to the sink for a rinse and then off to pay. The grand total was 35,000 so I gave a 10,000 tip. $4.50 for all that seems like a good deal, huh? We shall see once Erin gives judgement on how the haircutter did.
From there I ran up to the food court and got the bacon cheeseburber combo from A&W. First, beef bacon SUCKS!!!!!!! Second, they must have thought I liked sause because their special sauce coated both buns. After scraping that off with the lettuce that I was already going to remove, I enjoyed my burger, fries, and A&W root beer. 26,900.
Next stop the taxi stand. I get in the lead Blue Bird Taksi. "Saya pergi ke Menara Mulia." "Menara Mulia?" "Ya." The meter starts at 5,000. We hit the front door of the building at 5,500. Since he saved me a 15 minute walk in the mid-day heat on uneven sidewalks, I give him 10,000.
Total = 35,000 + 10,000 + 26,900 + 10,000 = 81,900 or $8.19
Thursday, October 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Followers
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(49)
-
▼
October
(17)
- Happy Halloween
- A Sight For Sore Eyes
- It's in the Bag
- Under House Arrest
- Birthday Parties
- A Little Off the Top, Please
- Haircut and lunch
- And so the saying goes...in Jakarta
- A Little Love
- Odd Feeling
- Embracing the Culture
- By Popular Demand
- Slides, Tunnels and Balls...Oh My!
- Are you positive?
- Motorcycle Baby
- It's Finished
- Coffee Anyone?
-
▼
October
(17)
1 comment:
i can relate to beef bacon. it is definitely a let down! when i was in Cairo, I had it on my quizno's sandwich (yes, quizno's in egypt--crazy). cami recommends looking for some turkey bacon--do they have any of that over there?
Post a Comment