Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Hallelujah!!

Wow!! I am finally able to post something and it just happens to be on a game night for Justin so I will leave you with something quick.

Here is what I had written about Australia - Day 3. I will try to add pictures soon for this and our Christmas post.

Australia – Day 3

So I find that day 3 of our trip is a good time to tell you that Australia is expensive, especially when coming from Indonesia. So, cost definitely became a more limiting factor here.

We had heard about this great little island of the coast called, Rottnest Island where there is good snorkeling and beach coves for swimming. You have to take a ferry to get to the island. We were somewhat unsure if we should go since the main transport around the island is bicycle (no cars around except for some buses which circle the island) and the water temperature could be on the cold side, but we had heard that this was one of the best places to visit in Perth. Our final decision was made when we found out how much a ferry ticket cost. The 45 minute ferry ride was going to cost Justin and I around $50 AUD each ($39USD). Our money was going fast in Australia. It was costing us around $50AUD per meal at a restaurant. So we decided skip out on this adventure and go with plan B.

Perth has a great public transportation system, so we decided to take the kids on a 30 minute train ride to the port city of Fremantle. The kids had a great time on the train. It was cheap entertainment.



Once we got to Fremantle, we saw an interesting looking building off to our right. We saw on the map that it was the Maritime Museum so we headed over to check it out. It ended up being a great place to take the kids. We got to learn about the maritime industry in Australia while going on a scavenger hunt for rats. Yes, I said rats. They were just plastic. The museum had them stowed away among the exhibits and gave the kids clues on where to find them. We all had fun on the hunt and I think all the kids at least spotted one on their own, even Jack.

The museum also had a submarine docked outside for tours. The staff suggested that the tour was probably not suitable for the kids so Justin and the boys just paused for a picture outside.


Next we walked down to the marina area for fish and chip and some ice cream at McDonalds. Stopping at the local McDonalds might become a tradition for us in our travels around the world.



And here's just a cute picture of the triplets outside the shipwreck museum. We walked by on our way back to the train.

No comments:

Followers