Friday, January 19, 2007

Australia - Day 5

Our first day of exploring around Margaret River took us to Surfers' Point, Clairault Winery and Meelup Beach.

Margaret River is a short drive from the coast and lots of good surfing spots. We were told that we should check out the waves in Australia and that we would be surprised at how much bigger they were than what we have seen in southern California. So we headed to Surfers' Point. From where we parked our car, it looked like a steep climb down to the beach so we chose to view the surfing from the little cliff. Because we were not able to get that close to the water, we didn't get a full appreciation for the size of the waves, but from our vantage point, the surfers were just dots on the waves. If you get out your magnifying glass, you might be able to see a surfer on the wave in the picture

Being in the wine country, we couldn't leave without stopping by one winery. We were told that Margaret River is a very kid friendly place and you know this is true when a number of the wineries actually have playgrounds. Clairault was one such place and it was on our way to the beach, so we stopped in to let the kids play at the playground and check out the grapes. December is summer time in Australia and I think their harvest is in February so there were plenty of grapes to be seen.

Next stop...the beach. I was kind of skeptical about whether or not we would actually be getting in the water, but figured the kids would at least like to play in the sand so we packed a picnic lunch and gave it a try. I would have to say that our afternoon at the beach ended up being one of my favorite things we did and this despite the fact that there were annoying flies buzzing around everywhere and I forgot my bathing suit.

The water was a little cold but after a little getting used to it, very pleasant. Thankfully, I had an extra change of clothes with me, so I was able to get in the water a little. However, I mostly just watched the boys play. I wish I could put into words just how clear the water was. I have been to the Caribbean and Mexico and from my opinion, those beaches just can't compare. I hope that some of these beach pictures can give you an idea of what it was like.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

when i clicked on the first picture, it made it bigger and I spotted a surfer! the water does look very clear in those last photos. makes me want to visit.

Anonymous said...

Okay, love the pictures! Looks like y'all had so much fun on the beach. Currently it is about 30 degrees here and windy...sure makes the sun seem nice. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

that last comment was from Cami. I just realized that there are a lot of Bethancourts around and I should probably identify myself!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the fun details from your Australia trip- we've really enjoyed hearing about it! The beaches look great and we're jealous about all the museum visits- soak it in friends!

Followers