Wednesday, September 02, 2009

We Are Alive

As you are waking up this morning, you will probably hear news of the 7.4 magnitude earthquake that shook Indonesia. First, I wanted to assure all of you that we are OK and our house is still standing. We DID feel this one, though. Indonesia has experiences several earthquakes since we lived here but this is the first one I can honestly say that I felt. In fact, this is the first earthquake I have felt EVER. And it was not what I expected...

Me and 2 of the boys were sitting on the couch reading a book when I looked up and started feeling dizzy. It was like the room was spinning. I thought I might pass out or something. It took me a moment to realize that it was actually an earthquake. I got up and started looking around for our staff to confirm what was going on. Pretty crazy.

Justin reported that he was in a meeting at work and when everyone realized what was happening, they all evacuated the building. Apparently the crackingly noises in the building alarmed some people and so there was some screaming. Dramatic! Justin did take note of some cracks in the walls in the stairwells. Needless to say, all the employees were sent home early so that they could ensure that the building was safe to inhabit. Justin is predicting that they won't be returning to the office the rest of the week. We'll see. He has meetings scheduled the rest of the week that are out of the office so he probably won't be enjoying the time off the same as other employees. But if for some reason the meetings are canceled, we have invited him and our neighbor Paul to join for our round of golf.

1 comment:

Jules said...

What an experience! Glad to hear you all are fine. Amazing to think of the power of God's natural forces, huh? Tell the boys hello from Braden & Brandt. :)

Followers