Sunday, September 06, 2009

A Little Monkey Business

AT HOME...
When we returned home after our summer break in the US, the kids and I were surprised to find this growing in our backyard...



Justin informed me that our gardener Katimin had planted this banana tree a few months back. I guess I never noticed because it wasn't very tall. But now that we have this giant bunch of bananas hanging from it, it is hard not to see it. The bananas look like they weigh a ton and have our little banana tree quite bent out of shape. The tree is hanging in there and we are all having fun watching our bananas grow and ripen and we are sure looking forward to the day when they will be ready to eat. The big question is how are we going to get the down from the tree when it is time. In Thailand, we learned that they locals train monkeys to climb up trees to get the coconuts down. Maybe there is a local monkey here who is trained to cut down the bananas?? The trunk of our tree is too weak to support a human shimming up to the top. I am guessing the next tool of the trade might be the 'ol knife blade tied to the end of a piece of bamboo that reached to the top of the tree. Will keep you posted...

AND AWAY...
The last time a posted about my golfing here in Jakarta, I told you about a nice course we had gone to outside of the city. Well, we went back there this last week. Unfortunately, there was no repeat of my birdie experience. But I did remember to bring my camera along this time to get some shots of the scenery. The golf course was pretty busy on this day so I didn't have a lot of opportunities to get pictures. I managed to take a few quickly as we walked between holes. However you will not find any pictures of the naked boys bathing in the river that ran through the course. This is a G-rated site, you know. Enjoy...

2 comments:

Valentina said...

I have a banana tree as well, and its finally going to produce fruit! were excited! FYI I heard that when the bananas get as large as yours have (full size), you should cut them down and hang them in your house (pantry) for them to ripen-turn yellow. Otherwize they will rot or be riddled with bugs, un-eatable!

Jenny Quld said...

Hi, I've just found your blog, its great!
Its always nice to read about others experiences in Indonesia.
Jenny

Followers