Saturday, September 08, 2007

Ok Seriously, Does That Really Work?

So, I have to tell you about a new addition to our fitness center. One day as I was leaving, I saw a truck unloading what appeared to be a new piece of exercise equipment. The next time I returned to the gym, my suspicions were confirmed. There stood between the weight machines and the bicycles and stairclimbers, a very curious contraption. I was with a friend in the fitness center that morning and neither of us dared to try it out but only hypothesized about what it was. Our conclusion...it was a jiggler. Think about seeing those old black and white movies with scenes of people exercising in the gym, with a belt around their waist, being jiggled by a machine. Well, this is the modern version of one of those machines. No belt this time. Just a moveable platform that vibrates while you stand on it and hold the handrails on either side of you. So, I wondered if anyone would dare use this machine in the fitness center and risk others seeing them ridiculously jiggle from head to toe with any excess fat flying all over the place OR if it would just become a dusty fixture of the gym. Well the very next time I went to workout, I had my answer. There was a woman on the machine jiggling away. Ok, it wasn't quite that bad. In these modern contraptions, the jiggle has been reduced to mere vibration and the woman was wearing pants so you really couldn't see much. (And I tried not to stare too much either.) I guess I really shouldn't have been surprised to see the machine being used. There are a couple of stores in the mall that are always trying to get people to buy these vibrating belts that you were around your waist. The funniest part is that the salespeople are these tiny Indonesians who know nothing about fat around the middle, wearing these big vibrating belts. I am thinking, "What do you know about how to get rid of fat?" Ok, I digress. Anyways, what I want to know is...Do these things really work? Is this new machine really worth the time? Maybe some of you people out there with more knowledge about exercise and fitness can help me out with this one.

Oh and in case you are wondering if I have tried it out. My friend prodded me on there to give it a whirl. I gave it about a 30 second try.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

want to see a picture of you on this new machine!

The Bethancourts said...

I think the jiggler is a farce. While noble in idea, I have yet to hear of any proof that they actually work. I say stick to the cardio and weights for a sure shot workout.

Followers