Sunday, September 16, 2007

Did You Feel That?

The answer...Not at all.

In case you are wondering what I'm talking about, I am referring to the earthquakes that shook parts of Indonesia recently. Here in Jakarta it has been reported that people did feel the earthquake in some of the tall buildings around town but that is the extent of how the city has been affected.

Actually, the first we heard of it was when my mom called to see if we were ok. We had no idea that anything had happened. But looking back on it, Justin got this crazy idea that Alex's last little accident might could have been blamed on the earthquake.

At right about the time that the earthquake happened, we were out for a walk in the complex. We were going over a small bridge and Alex decided that he wanted to run down it. As he got half way down, he tripped, ran into Isaac and tumbled to the ground. Isaac was fine, but Alex got some good scrapes on his face. Poor guy. Scraped up his nose, upper lip, by one of his eyes and a little on one finger. When people see him, they are concerned and want to know what happened. (It looks a lot worse than it is.) Alex doesn't like to talk about and in fact, didn't even want to look at himself in the mirror for the first couple of days. He is healing well and we are holding out hope that it will all be better for picture day in a couple of weeks. Anyways, Justin thinks maybe the earthquake caused him to stumble. But I think the better explanation is running down hill in crocs on a bumpy surface. But we'll never know, I guess.

I guess because the earthquake was a non-event here in Jakarta, I didn't think to let everyone know that we were all ok. But what I have realized is that there are a lot of people out there that care about us. And when news from Indonesia hits the US, they think of us and wonder if everything is alright where we are at. So next time, I will try to do a better job at passing along my own reports.

1 comment:

Michele said...

thank you for the update. You are right we do think of you when we think of indonesia, every time.

Followers