Monday, September 25, 2006

It's A Soap Opera

So just like Justin, I got a new job when we moved to Indonesia, manager of household staff. Now as easy as it may sound (here's my dirty laundry, please change the sheets, wash this window again, etc.), it is a lot more involved than you think, especially in this hiring time.

I thought communication barriers would be the most difficult to overcome but so far I have been pleasantly surprised by the level of English they can speak and understand. No, the most difficult to date has been dealing with what happens behind the scenes among the staff members. It's a soap opera. And in their culture they don't always speak for themselves. They will send someone else to do the talking for them.

Our most recent occurrance happened between the nanny we were trying out and some other of our staff (we are not quite sure which one because we've only heard the story through our driver and it is hard to tell from him what he is spectulating and what he knows as fact). The nanny was doing a great job with the kids. She spoke great English and could even read English too! She knew just what to do with the kids, was a self-starter and had lots of energy. I was really happy with her and was going offer her a job. She was with us a couple of days and then one morning she sent me an SMS, which is what they call a text message here, that said that she couldn't work for us anymore. Ahhhh!!! Now what to do. I have been finding that good nannies are hard to come by.

So, now nannyless and faced with the realization that Debbie, my temporary nanny, was leaving Wednesday, I began to ponder whether I should pursue getting the nanny back or just look for someone new. It was a dilemma. So Sunday I started praying about it and asking the Lord for some direction. Praise the Lord for His faithfulness. My prayers were answered today (Tuesday)!! Our driver who is friends with the nanny and her husband brought me his handphone and asked that I talk to Tun. After speaking with her, we decided she would come back in the morning after we have a staff meeting tonight. See, I told you managing staff wasn't easy.

So friends and family, please keep this situation in your prayers and specifically ask for God to give me wisdom in dealing with our staff as I might be the only light they ever see.

No comments:

Followers