Friday, August 01, 2008

We've Beat You, LAX

We made it safely back to our home in Jakarta on Wednesday afternoon some 43.5 hours after we left our rented beach house in Galveston, Texas. It was one of our longest journeys home (thanks to a long layover in LA and Singapore) but I would say that it was also probably our smoothest. That was definitely thanks in part to Mr. SkyCap (the guy with the big luggage cart who will help you bring your luggage to the checkin counter) at IAH, our new hero! Now, his cart services were much appreciated since we had 12 large pieces of luggage, 4 carry-ons, a stroller and 4 kids, but he won our heart's affection when he suggested that we could check our luggage in Houston all the way to our final destination in Jakarta. We had never thought it possible since we have to take a domestic carrier (this time Continental) to LAX and then switch to Singapore Airlines there. Well, the ladies at the Continental check-in counter made it happen and I think that Justin and I really had to restrain ourselves from doing a happy dance as we watched our bags disappear down the conveyor belt. Why so excited? Well, if any of you have had the pleasure of traveling into or out of LAX or heard one of our harrowing stories about our experiences there, you understand. Too many times we have had to hike at least .5-1 mile from terminal to terminal of that airport carting all the before mentioned luggage and herding the 4 kids. It is enough to stress out even the most calm of people. Well, 3 words for you LAX...WE BEAT YOU!

Along with smooth flights, at least 6 hours of sleep for all of us on the airplane, and a nice rest and SHOWER at the Singapore Transit Hotel, we landed in Jakarta with smiles on our faces. And I am also happy to say that last night (only our 2nd night back at home) everyone had a good night's sleep. We almost have this jet lag kicked!!

Now I just have to remember what I was doing here before we left here 6.5 weeks ago!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you've made it home safely! We enjoyed golfing w/ you and the boys- Galveston will never be the same unless we stop for shave ice, so yummy! And the beach was fun too- thanks for including us!
Julie & the boys

Michele said...

Glad you all are home safely. Glad we could see you all.

I have not been to LAX, but Scott says it is the worst in the nation. Congratulations on the conquest!

Followers