Liquid Gold...some of you might think I could be referring to oil since Justin works in the industry and the price for a barrel of the stuff fetches quite a sum these days but for today's post, I am making reference to something that is precious to those of us who love Tex Mex food. Ah, YES. I am referring to QUESO. After today's rounds to the grocery stores, I learned it will cost quite the pretty penny for a bowl of the good stuff here in Jakarta. So what will a local expat have to pay to indulge in this "luxury"?
1 lb Velveeta 119,000 Rp
1 can Rotel 71,000 Rp
Total 190,000 Rp
At today's exchange rate, that equals about $21 USD! And that doesn't even include the chips that you need to eat with it. Now you see why I called it Liquid Gold. (Thankfully, we still have some Velveeta left that Cami and Phillip brought us from the states and our neighbor Paul just restocked our Rotel supply on his recent trip to Singapore.) So next time you cook up a bowl of cheese dip, savor each dip of the chip and think of us.
1 comment:
WOW! I never thought what we most commonly have at every church social, potluck, shower, etc. would be such a prized treat in Jakarta. We are thinking of you!
Post a Comment