Christmas has been a special time for our family this year. Usually Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are spent racing between family celebrations in an attempt to see as much family as possible. It is definitely one of my favorite times of year. And while we have really missed being around our family this holiday season, our Christmas in Jakarta has exceeded my expectations. It has been great to just be together has a family and share, what I hope will be, fond Christmas memories for the kids.
On Christmas Eve, Justin helped me prepare (which was one of my favorite Christmas gifts) a wonderful Christmas dinner, ham, potatoes, green beans, scalloped pineapple and rolls. That was followed by one of my favorite Christmas desserts, pumpkin roll, which was made possible with the care package Debbie sent us. There is no canned pumpkin in Jakarta that I have found, so the can she sent was crucial. I set a nice Christmas table and we ate as a family.
After dinner the boys took showers and got ready for bed in the pajamas Nana and Papa sent. They looked so cute. They especially liked the toy soldiers on the front of their shirt.
We all gathered at the dining room table to open the last of our advent doors, which had a little figure of the baby Jesus in it to complete the nativity scene.
Isaac had asked during dinner to write a letter to Santa, so next we sat down with some crayons and paper to compose the letters. Mainly the boys were interested in telling Santa and the reindeers "hi". It was secondary for them to ask for any gifts. After some prodding, Alex and Luke asked for some cars and Isaac wanted games.
After placing the letters and milk and cookies by the tree, the boys were off to bed.
Justin and I finished getting things ready for the morning and got to bed at 10pm. Which was amazing considering the boys were getting bikes for Christmas. I think every kid gets a bike at some point for Christmas. And there is always the image of the parent staying up to all hours trying to put the bike together. Can you imagine if we had tried to do that for 3 kids? Thankfully, living in Jakarta, the bikes are put together for you when you buy them at no extra cost. Justin did have to assemble a trike for Jack (a gift he got for his birthday that we had never put together).
Justin and I layed in bed for a while talking about our own Christmas memories. I think we were having more trouble getting to sleep than the kids. I know I was excited for the next morning and seeing the kids faces when they saw their bikes and opened their gifts.
Justin got up at 5am and as I lie in bed, Luke came out if his room at around 5:15 or so. Justin was downstairs setting up the webcam so that John and Debbie could watch the Christmas morning activities, so I quickly jumped out of bed to keep Luke from going downstairs without his brothers. Luke went and woke up Alex and Isaac, who quickly popped out of bed, and I went to get Jack. Justin met us upstairs and we read the Christmas story from Luke 2 before going down for gifts.
We went downstairs and the boys turned the corner to see their bikes and stockings. I have to admit that their reaction was a little less enthusiastic than I had anticipated. I think they were a little overwelmed and confused. But after they got into the gift opening, their expressions became much more animated.
At this point, I think their favorite gifts have been the bikes, the Leapster and the race cars. Jack has enjoyed his building blocks and Elmo book.
Since we don't have anywhere to go today, everyone has been able to enjoy there Christmas gifts as we go between webcam calls from family. Justin is enjoying his Civilization 4 and D&D minis, and I have been playing with my new iPod nano.
Later today we will make birthday cupcakes for Jesus and eat lots of yummy leftovers.
We hope that you all have a very Merry Christmas. We love you and miss you. I hope that this blog has made you feel a part of our Christmas too.
PS I am going to add pictures to this post later but thought I would go ahead and put it up.
No comments:
Post a Comment