Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My Absense

So my absense from the blog scene is merely a reflection of how busy things have been for us in December. And as of today, I can finally say that I am on vacation from the craziness. After 7 parties (2 of which were hosted at our home and another 2 of which I led the planning), 2 baseball games and 1 Christmas "concert" in the last 5 days, I have come up for air and will celebrate my holiday with a round of golf tomorrow!

The kids' Christmas break starts on Friday but I have finished my commitments a little early. Although I really wish we were spending our holidays with friends and family in the states, I think I will enjoy the down time we will get here. It has all been fun, though and worth every ounce of effort.

So what's been going on the December...

1) Girls trip to Vietnam : I started the month of December by taking a trip with 10 of my friends to Ho Chi Minh City(Saigon) in Vietnam. We left on Sunday, November 29th and returned late in the evening on December 2nd.




Our Mission - To experience Vietnam culture by SHOPPING!

Our Secret Weapons - A few friends on the trip who had lived in Vietnam previously so we had an in on all the cool shops; a friend who spoke Vietnamese; Joel the jewelryman (the husband of one of the ladies on the trip, studies gems and gem cutting as a hobby)

Our Game Plan - Walk the streets of downtown Saigon shopping, eating and discovering the handmade treasure of Vietnam; See the country side as we venture to a quilt shop about 45 minutes out of town

Mission Status - SUCCESS!!

My Loot - jewelry, a quilted tree shirt, art, tapestries, carved stone game and candle holders, and some Christmas gifts which I can't give specifics about right now...

2) Baseball : I think I had mentioned previously that baseball season had started. The kids are all doing great on their teams and love playing the game. Here are some pictures of them in action:





3) Christmas parties : 'Tis the season for Christmas parties. On Sunday I hosted a party for our small group Bible study. Since my first turkey turned out so well, I thought I would give it another go and maybe this time get a picture. So here is turkey #2. It wasn't quite as good as #1 but it still is one of the best I have had and my confidence has grown as a turkey cooker. Next time I might experiment with the seasoning flavor and see what happens. If you are looking for an super easy and delicious turkey recipe, this is it!



4) Classroom Festivites : There have been lots of fun activites going on in the boys' classrooms in the past week as the kids have been celebrating the end of the first semester and the upcoming holidays.

Jack - Christmas Celebration and Gingerbread House making (If you remember 2 years back, we did this same activity with the triplets. It was fun to get to continue the tradition with Jack!)


Luke - End of Year (2009) Celebration and workshare


Isaac - Workshare and potluck lunch


Alex - Snow Day (pictured are the boys in 1JL in their snow cave)



And I promise to finish our Japan recap over the holidays. I know y'all are dying to know our "official" rating of all the Disney parks!

2 comments:

jjbeezer said...

That is a quilted tree skirt, not shirt. It looks really good around the tree, too.

grannyytxag said...

love you blogs, tweeters and everything. all the pictures are great. boys are so darling and seeing what they do is so wonderful. you write such a great blog. it's just like being
there with you. of course i wish i was there with you all. i never wanted to do anything so bad has to come over there and be with you all and be able to hug on you all and the boys for hours.
guess wanting to be there keeps me from wriwting so i do;t get so
blue cause i can't come. bad excuse. tell boys i liked their calender. everyone wthinkwss sit is so cute.also tell them thanks for their pictures and other items for christmas and i think
the lipstick holder or purse in
the picture you sent. it's 11:00
so got to go to bed. hugs boys for me and tell them i wrote and i love them. try to wed cam soon. i think it;s working now.
need to start web caming everyone else too, but laziness has set in
on the old lady more than i want to admit. let me hear from you all and get the boys to drop me a little note or call, or web when you can. love, granny

Followers