Justin and I received this cute invitation from each one of our school boys to join them in their classes on December 16th for gingerbread house decorating. Yummy!
Since both of the Prep Junior classes were doing this activity on the same day at the same time, Justin and I had to join forces to conquer this event. To start the morning, I would go to Isaac's class and Justin would take on Alex and Luke's class. Then midway through, we would switch classes.
The parents all gathered outside the classroom doors eager to get in. The kids received some last minute instructions from their teachers and then the flood gates were opened and the parents streamed in. The kids were all seated around their tables and surprised us by wearing their new class t-shirts, which they all had a hand in designing. So cute!! Isaac's class even added Santa hats to their festive essemble. Once we joined our children at their seats, we were instructed by our kids that they were going to be our teachers for the morning activities and tell/show us how to construct and decorate a gingerbread house.
I helped Isaac put the walls on his house (actually he did most of the work) and frost the outside of his house, getting it ready for the candy. Then I decided it was about time to make the switch with Justin. When I went into Alex and Luke's class, they were not quite as far along in their construction. We realized later that while Isaac's construction methods might have been faster, Alex and Luke's were of higher quality. Isaac's house sort of fell apart before we got home. The boys decorated the houses with all kinds of candy. They were very proud of their results. It was a really fun and festive morning!! I can't remember the last time I made a gingerbread house. Actually, I don't know if I ever had before. I remember trying once in college (Amy and Gwendy - remember the Coke cans and hair dryer), but it was a failed attempt. They have been doing this for several years in the prep junior classes, so they definitely have the cookie and frosting recipe down pat. The results not only looked good but tasted good too!
To see pictures of the gingerbread house construction, click here.
After we were done with the houses, Alex and Luke's class sang us some Christmas songs and then each child presented their parents with their homemade gifts. Here is what we got:
1 comment:
Sounds like fun with the boys.... and LOL at the college memory!!!
Post a Comment