Some of you may be wondering what ever happened to the guy named Justin who sometimes posts on this blog. Well, I am still here; just a little busy. Now I am waiting on Erin and the boys to come pick me up from the office (6 pm on a Friday).
Last month, in March, I received a promotion at work. I now have the title of Team Lead, and I have 3 people that report directly to me. I was told when I left Houston that you could not get a promotion of any kind in an international assignment. Since coming to Indonesia I have received a grade level promotion (more money) and an organization chart promotion (more authority). It has been great to see God open the doors for the things that have happened to me at work since I have been here. I am curious what he has in store for me and the family.
This month, in April, I was installed as an Elder at our church here in Jakarta. This is not just a "board elder" position. It is a Paul sending Timothy to cities to appoint church leaders Elder position. (Did you know there were no Pastor or Priest roles in the New Testament church?) Erin and I had been very involved in leading our Saturday night service, and there were only 2 Elders overseeing a church of 800+ people. I said I was willing to become an Elder so the current Elders checked my qualifications. After that, and much prayer on their part, they felt led to invite me and one other man to become Elders with them. When we moved to Jakarta we knew God wanted us to be involved in our church and lead a home group. Since we got here and did that, He has given us a chance to keep serving him. This Elder role is just the next step in serving.
One night per week over the past few months I have played softball with a team mainly made up of guys from the US embassy. It was the embassy "B" team, and we played in the "D" league. They had not won a game the season before in the C league, but we managed to come in as the first place D league team.
I have played only 1 game of Civilization since Erin got her new computer over Christmas time. I also have stopped playing in my weekly D&D Minis game (after 4 years of playing). It feels good to have put those hobbies (addictions) away for more profitable pursuits.
I thought I had seen it all here in Jakarta until early this week. Walking down the side of the road in this city of 14 million people was a man. A man carrying a big yellow box behind his head (using 2 hands). A man who did not have one stitch of clothes on. A man who, I can confirm, had not been circumcised. How in the world can that happen?
See you again in 6 months (or sooner).
No comments:
Post a Comment