The week following our trip to Singapore was United Nations week at the triplet's school. Being an international school, there is a very diverse student body. The school takes time out each year to celebrate its diversity and let the students share a little bit of their cultural heritage. This is also the time of year that the Americans are always sad that our country doesn't have a cool national outfit for their children to wear but do their best to make red, white and blue looks its best.
Throughout the week parents came into the classroom sharing something special about their country. I talked about the US Space Program. I was on the team that helped create a cultural display booth for the United States about NASA (more on this later), so I took some of the props and activities from our booth to Isaac, Alex and Luke's classes so that the kids could get more hands on time. And I also shared some pictures of our trip to Space Center Houston a couple of years ago. Here are some pictures from my time in Luke and Alex's class:
The cultural display for the US that I helped with was part of the Cultural Display "fair" that all the kids at the elementary attended over the course of the dayon Wednesday. I think that there were about 15 countries represented. Each country came up with a display for the kids to look at with items that represented their country as well as activities for the kids to do. The kids walked around with a passport and got it stamped at each country they visited. It really was a fun day and neat to see all the different country displays. Check it out:
Playing hockey in Canada. That's Luke with the hockey helmet on. Only made sense for him to wear while he was playing, right?
Can't miss getting the passports stamped in Japan.
And look...we picked up these cool hats on our stop in Japan. (The man in the middle is Alex and Luke's teacher, Mr. Whitney.)
Ahhh...back home in America and getting ready to blast off into space with my good buddy Blaine.
The week culminated on Friday with the UN Day parade and the Prep Junior students putting on a little show for their parents. For the parade all the children were supposed to wear their national custom. Just in case you might be wondering what that could be for the USA...
The kids walked around the field of flags class by class.
Then the Prep Junior kids marched back to their classrooms for a little performance. They sang us 4 or 5 songs. I wanted to add a video clip here but realized my video camera is soooo old (3 years) that it does not have those capabilities. Sometimes I think technology changes too fast!
And here are their classes all dressed up:
It was a super fun week but very tiring for Mommy (probably because I had like 4 or 5 other things going on that week too)!
No comments:
Post a Comment